01 May 2009

May Day

The first rainfall in May has healing powers.
This was a superstition I learned as a boy when I stayed with my paternal side of the family one summer. Of course I didn't believe that. The Baptist side of me said this must be a Catholic thing since they were Catholics. It rained that first day in May. I joined the other kids outside showering in the rain because it just seemed like fun.

Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic have the same superstition: 
"You will have good luck throughout the year if you stroll under the first rain drizzles in May (las primeras lloviznas de mayo)."

"When the first rain in May falls catch the water with your hands and wash your face. This will get rid of wrinkles, and purify. Save some in a jar to use later for whatever ails you."
So, it must be a Catholic thing. Is May a holy month in their calendar?
My guess: Since May is part of summer in the Philippines and the above countries are also tropical, rain around this time of the season must feel like a blessing.

Could be worth a shot going outside and getting wet to cure me of this bad cold. It's better than going back to the island in "Lost" so I can get "healed" like Twitchy.

No comments: