07 October 2009

Lambic

Reaching for the Lambic (my new monomania) bottle at the supermarket, this elderly woman asked me, "Is that good?"

I said yes. That's why I'm getting two.

She checked out the bottle, saw the price, and put it back right away. "I don't plan on spending that much," she said. "I was looking for something fruit flavored. They used to carry one here, but they don't make them anymore. It cost a dollar and 99 cents. My roommate and I would split it. It was so delicious."

I felt a jolt of generosity and thought I should buy her a bottle or I open it now and we split it. But that would be enabling overage drinking.

"It was nice talking to you," I said. "Have a good night."

"Oh, you too."

I walked away, then she called out, "Bryan says good night, too."

I turned to look and saw that she was pointing at a bird in a cage that was sitting atop her grocery cart.

I trusted my judgment then of not even getting her an inexpensive fruity wine cooler.

No comments: