01 January 2010

Twelve Grapes


A patient's family member gave me grapes at the start of the shift. I did not know the significance until the ball dropped at midnight and I saw a young woman eating a bunch of them. She explained that "it's a Spanish thing." Each person eats twelve grapes before midnight, making a wish with each grape.

I couldn't come up with twelve wishes. Only 6. Maybe 7 if you count my wish that I don't choke on the rest of the grapes.

Another explanation for the custom: "The idea is to eat twelve grapes at the stroke of midnight on New Years Eve. Each grape represents a month of the coming year. The sweeter the grape, the better the month will be that it represents. If you get a sour grape, it may be that the month it represents could be difficult for you." -How to Eat Grapes For New Years Good Luck

No wonder the woman who gave me the grapes earlier said, "They're good. They're all sweet." That's called cheating.

No comments: