11 February 2009

Lady Liberty

Playing tourist in the dead of winter in NYC. No crowds.

Ferried to Liberty Island where I went through no less than two security checks. More rigorous than going through the airport, more invasive than the Ellis Island immigrant checks a century ago. Surprised that they didn't ask me to take off my shoes. Before entering the pedestal, I had to stand in an air puffer - a "sniffer" as one woman said. It tickled and I tried so hard not to giggle in the one minute it takes to figure out I smell right.

Remembering how it was 15 years ago: going up to the crown on one set of spiral steps and going down on another set. Both sets are on top of each other. A firetrap by any fire safety standard. Oh, we were so innocent then.

Lady Liberty remains special to me in all her green glory. She still has the personal distinction of being the only lady I've ever been inside of.

No comments: