11 October 2010

PE

On "The Fading Art of the Physical Exam," by Richard Knox from NPR.org

I'm not for going back to the days of Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman or even Dr. Kildare.
Since I will be a “mini-doc,” as my Advanced Health Assessment prof put it, the Stanford 25 seems like a standard to look up to as a program objective. (There are limitations/criticisms.) Nurses are trained to do a physical exam (PE). Yes, we learned these PE skills in nursing school, but do not keep it up. Depends on where we practice. In a hospital setting, MDs and diagnotic machines are within easy reach, so nurses' PE skills rust. Upon review, not many of my nursing preceptors emphasized PE skills in practice when I was a student. Many of my colleagues do not carry a stethoscope around, so I can bet they don’t listen to breath sounds or bowel sounds and are only forced to use it when they have to take a BP manually.

No comments: