01 November 2010

PSYCHO


PSYCHO (1960), d. Alfred Hitchcock.

Overanalyzed, yes.
Lost count on how many times I've viewed this.
Each time, certain aspects flit to the top.
After seeing it again this weekend, these things came to mind:

1. Anthony Perkins was masterfully creepy.
The actors are the last thing you notice in a Hitchcock movie.
He treated them like cattle, remember? (I think it's a misunderstood comment.)
Found so many layers in that Norman Bates smile this time.

2. "We all get a little mad sometimes ..."
To extend the theme of dualities,
Hitchcock offers two different types of voice-overs:
Marion's imagined voices while she's driving,
and Mother's voice as heard by Norman.
Never wanted to work in psych, because I'd question my sanity all the time.
There are voices in my head.

3. Water cleanses.
Hitchcock used the act of cleaning to create audience sympathy for Marion and Norman:
Marion showers to cleanse herself of the sin and gets murdered,
while Norman cleans after the crime to protect his mother.

4. Arbogast.
Just a little idea that came to mind:
I'd like to write his backstory -
an origin story of sorts. "The Case Files of Det. Arbogast."
What cases has he tackled before his grisly end?

5. DSM-IV.
It's been awhile since Psychiatric Nursing,
but what are the differential diagnoses for Norman Bates in the DSM-IV?

Still had the same feeling as when I first saw it as a teen,
I will lick stamps for John Gavin.

No comments: