03 November 2010

Research Day

You can never escape your teachers.
Spent all day on nursing research -
a symposium at work, then class.
Don't know about other professions,
but no matter where you practice nursing,
you are bound to see your teachers.
Nurses in academia conduct their research in order to be utilized in practice. You meet them when they disseminate their findings.
Sitting in front of my teacher from 3 years ago,
being informed about a research she had done (in which I was a survey participant) was surreal.
I thought to myself I hope she wouldn't embarass me in my place of work and I hope I made her proud.

I'm afraid I'm leaning towards being a qualitative researcher.
In class, my research professor, who's big on quantitative,
heard her previous class jeer last week's lecturer who used aesthetic inquiry.
She told her class: "You need more humanities!"
If nursing is a science and art, the art part is lacking and that'll be my part.

No comments: