11 August 2008

Beijing Opening




DVR-ed the 4 hour ceremony since I was at work. Watched the "artistic portion" and sped through the Parade of Nations to the lighting of the Olympic flame.

Curious about what Zhang Yimou would do with live spectacle compared to his cinematic spectacles. (I like his quieter movies: "Not One Less" and "The Road Home.") Marveled at the technology he used: the LED screens on the floor and top rim of the stadium. The flying and wire work got a little tired. More amazed at the low-tech undulating printing blocks that formed Chinese characters, drops of water, and the Great Wall - a segment at the end of which I found myself applauding. The sphere with performers traveling around it was cool until Sarah Brightman pierced my ear drums. I don't know but there's something so "Triump of Will" about the whole ceremony that I can't help Zhang Yimou may be the next Leni Riefenstahl.


The spectacle confirms that poorer countries would never be able to host the Olympics in the future. When will the IOC let an African country host the first Olympics in that continent? It is the only continent in the 5 Olympic rings to never host one.

Now, onto the swimsuit competition -er - the swimming competition.
The games I will most likely watch for sportsmanship: Beach volleyball and gymnastics.
The games I will most likely watch for hotness: Swimming, Soccer, Water Polo, Basketball.

No comments: