17 September 2008

Arsenic

What I learned at the movies today:
That arsenic is more than rat poison and sold at Victorian Sephora counters as skin care?
Courtesy of David Lean's "Madeleine" (1949). I so wanted to like this movie but Ann Todd ruined it for me. In the hands of a better actress - plug in a Hitchcock blonde - and the movie would easily rank as a bona fide classic. Based on a true case, did she or didn't she poison her lover with arsenic?
The next time I give arsenic as chemo (FDA approved), I'll dab the leftover on my skin and tell you if it's better than my Clinique regimen.


In the Victorian era, "arsenic" (colourless, crystalline, soluble "white arsenic") was mixed with vinegar and chalk and eaten by women to improve the complexion of their faces, making their skin paler to show they did not work in the fields. Arsenic was also rubbed into the faces and arms of women to "improve their complexion".
-Wikipedia

No comments: