23 September 2008

P.S. to Arsenic and Donne

Appending previous posts.

"Arsenic":
Who knew? Arsenic still fills the beauty counter according to the article below.

Ancient, but How Safe?
By ABBY ELLIN
Published: NY Times, September 18, 2008
The health industry has questions about metals like lead, mercury or arsenic being found in ayurvedic supplements.

"My First Code":
I mentioned "Wit," Margaret Edson's play, on that post. My lit profs in high school lobbed that John Donne poem "Death Be Not Proud" at us every semester. (On one hand, I'm fed up with it, but on the other, I thank them for it because a Donne poem actually appeared in the essay section of the AP Lit Exam. I now wish I had written how the man loved his commas.) No escape from that poem. Dame Eileen Atkins' lecture from the "Wit" movie breaks it down for you:

No comments: