25 July 2008

THE DARK KNIGHT (2008)

Like the rest of the fanboys, I eagerly awaited this movie.

I'm not normally a size queen - but this movie rocks in IMAX. The first 2-D movie I've truly enjoyed in that giant screen. They've somehow figured out how to seamlessly switch aspect ratios and make use of that full wrap-around screen, mainly for the aerial shots - so if you're acrophobic, think twice.

The movie lives up to its title in tone and cinematic color palette.
Top-notch acting (thank God, Tom Cruise abducted Katie Holmes and gave us Maggie Gyllenhaal instead), tight story, and dynamite action sequences.

The reason to see it - as some posters tout - is Heath Ledger. One of those performances they call "possessed" - as if there's no acting going on. His character's sociopathic energy ripples throughout the movie that near the end of it, you feel like the chaos in Gotham would spill over into the movie theater. And that nurse outfit, I only wish I could pull that off.



I'm not a betting man, but I see dudes donning the Joker more than McCain and Obama masks this coming Halloween. It'll be cheaper too. They'll just borrow their girlfriends' make-up. We are in a recession, after all.

No comments: