29 July 2008

MAMMA MIA! (2008)




There must be a reason why the show's still running on Broadway other than it being a much needed diversion a month after 9/11. And this defense from TIME is as good as any - It's the music. So the reason to go see this bad / mostly mediocre movie is the music. It's a ridiculous plot to begin with, lifted from the Broadway show's book. I had enormous fun when I saw the stage musical, despite groaning about its story or its fugly costumes. But those performers sold it and the music elevated it. Full disclosure: I am an ABBA fan. I think those songs are fABBAlous. My parents love them and I grew up listening to their records. Knowing those lyrics, it proved difficult not to sing along while watching the movie.

The movie is not "Xanadu" bad. It's not going to end Meryl Streep's film career like "Xanadu" did to Olivia Newton-John's career. But it may be the first and only movie by its director. It is a movie that makes me think I could direct a better movie than its own director did. So, if I were directing it, I would:

  1. Make better use of its Greek isle location and not overusing the Aegean blue background.
  2. Allude to some Greek mythology (stealing from Broadway's "Xanadu"). It's in the lyrics already : "The gods may throw a dice/Their minds as cold as ice." Plenty of songs employ themes of fate and games already. Employ a Greek chorus, not just a background of Greek people who sing.
  3. Pay homage to Lasse Hallstrom's ABBA music videos. (He could've directed the movie for that matter!) There are some iconic images in those videos - see "Muriel's Wedding."
  4. Re-orchestrate certain songs. I know, you can't mess with ABBA's studio sound too much. And a lot of it is in the movie - the arrangements sound like they do in the ABBA albums except for the vocals. It's intricately layered recordings, which makes it terrific pop. But, you could punch up some Greek-ness to it, the way sections of "I Have A Dream" hint at bouzoki sounds, for example. Or fully utilize the song to tell the story and convey character - see Streep's "The Winner Takes It All." After all, the art of a good pop song is how it rings emotional truth to its listeners.
  5. Not hire Pierce Brosnan to sing.

There are a few high points in the movie: "Dancing Queen," Meryl Streep's "Slipping Through My Fingers," and especially her rendition of "The Winner Takes It All."



What I'm really waiting for is an ABBA musical that tells their own story (much like "Jersey Boys"). Just think of the irony and heartbreak those songs have in the context of dual divorces between its members. It's so VH1, I know.

No comments: